algebaric operations on a RegEx?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 15 18:25:30 UTC 2009

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> If you use a smart editor, this should be simple.
>
> So, in short, Python need smart editor. :-) Basically Python has too
> much requirement, too restrictive in the way I don't think matter for
> programming. Note that this come from somebody who like to code in Pascal.

Are you trolling or just ill-informed? Python has no requirement beyond
having a Python runtime environment installed, which on most real
operating systems, isn't a problem. The indentation is such a non-issue
that even with your nonsensical objections to them, it would take you
all of an hour to get used to it if you could ever bring yourself to
give Python a good trial. I'll bet within a week, you'll wonder how you
ever did without it. The language is compact, clean, and expressive. It
doesn't force you to use any particular IDE or tools. The barriers to
getting started and becoming productive with Python are very low. That
seems to bother some people so they pick on something, anything, like
the significant whitespace issue, and dismiss it.

>> A smart editor can change the indentation on a block very quickly.
>
> One additional step I don't need in other language.

I use vim all the time for Python. Do you consider that an exotic editor?

>> I think they should be banned.
>
> And then let's parted peacefully at this point. :-) I am relying on one
> liner to do day to day calculator work.

If you want to write illegible code in Python, you're free to do so.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis