algebaric operations on a RegEx?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 14 22:06:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> While I agree with this in general, sometimes I wish that
> there were fewer ... because then we'd have much greater
> opportunity for collaboration and code reuse.

Maybe this can be helped a bit if there is a way of many of
those language developer to agree on 1 common intermediate code
to compile to.

> The dogma of Python is that there is a "right way to do it",
> rather than "there's more than one way to do it", but
> practically, there are a lot of ways to do things in Python.

I liked that fine, and indeed I programmed in Perl mostly using
one way I consider the right way (being Object Pascal developer
in the past); and generally I would like Python if not for its
requirement to use indentation to delimit statement blocks. I
just cannot stand it to the degree I wanted to smash something
when I tried it.

I like Ruby, just wishes its grammar was designed better
(ideally fit into LL(1)/LALR(1)), so it is easier to develop a
fast parser / interpreter / compiler; and wishes there is only 1
way to define parameterized code block (instead of 3).

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/