OT: Rogers and Home-based Business Networks?

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 14 15:57:38 UTC 2009

On 14/04/09 11:46 AM, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Marc Lanctot wrote:
>
>> Anybody doing something similar? Any recommendations on a cheap way to
>> get what I want?
>
> Hi Marc. I started out running some sites at home (on a DSL with a
> subnet allocated) and ended up shifting them to inexpensive hosting in
> the US. Hosting proved to be much more reliable and convenient.
>
> I've been happy with Linode.com but there are quite a few players in the
> market. You can run up new boxes quickly, buy additional bandwidth, etc,
> and you never have to worry about hardware.
>
> Disclaimer: I am only a custom of Linode, nothing more.

Robert,

Thanks!

I have never liked the idea of running a server on a virtual OS. It
seems to be the popular thing these days but to me it's always been just
a waste of perfectly good hardware.

At this point, money is probably more important than my preferences, so
I'm entertaining the notion that I might be wrong. :)

Questions:

- Have you ever done any performance tests and compare the result to an
equivalent non-virtual OS on the same hardware? Since I'm doing more
than web hosting (in fact the web hosting is just a way to download my
client, which connects to my servers) I will need as much CPU (and,
maybe, RAM) as I can get. I don't have concrete numbers on my
requirements yet, though.

- If not, would you be willing to run some tests for me? Or can anybody
else report actual performance results?

Marc

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
   -- Albert Einstein