OT: Rogers and Home-based Business Networks?

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 14 15:38:40 UTC 2009

Anybody subscribed to a Rogers Business Internet service?

I just spoke to someone about their services. They told me they can't
give me a business account if I'm running my business from home because
the eligibility of the business accounts depends on zoning. They
actually use your postal code to determine if you're eligible, and the
guy told me I'll be rejected if it's an apartment or a house.

That outright sucks. I can barely afford the Internet connection, now I
need an office for it? It's not even a "business" per se.. I doubt I'll
make much money if any :(

He told me the best I could do is get the best residential services,
which still come with residential down/up limits and bandwidth limits,
etc..

I suspect he may be wrong.. does anybody here have a business account
they use from home?

I'm starting a web site / service that, at the start, will require 2-3
servers (it's not just http, there's a lot more networking involved).
Ideally I'd like full control over them and the network they're on so
that I can add machines to the server farm at will, and would like to
use the Internet service as my main connection. At first I want to save
money and power them with decent used, inexpensive machines.. and I
don't expect the thing to get big right away. When/if it does, I'll pour
money into a better setup ...

Anybody doing something similar? Any recommendations on a cheap way to
get what I want?

Marc

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
   -- Albert Einstein