Delayed messages

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 11 19:42:04 UTC 2009

James Knott wrote:

> John McGregor wrote:
> > James Knott wrote:
> >> One thing I've noticed in the recent discussions is that some messages
> >> are significantly delayed.  In one example, a message I had sent last
> >> night arrived this morning, over 12 hours later.  Here's a few of the
> >> header lines:
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> I have only noticed this behaviour with the TLUG list and it doesn't
> >> happen with all messages.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> > I've noticed a general slowdown of email over the last week as well.
> > It may be just coincidence, but Rogers has been rolling out a new
> > antivirus solution to its Windows customers since the beginning of
> > April and certainly our mail would have to traverse those servers.
> >

> Wouldn't that AV software be installed on the user's computer and not
> the servers?

Not necessarily. When I was with Sympatico they put in a predictably bad system
for filtering viruses and such at the server level. It very badly fuxored my
e-mail because it added all kinds of non-compliant headers that Spamassassin
really hated.

> Also, wouldn't that affect all email, and not just TLUG?

In my case, it was only certain lists that were affected: those that used
Spamassassin to filter mail. A few lists started dropping my mails, especially
those on Sourceforge.