OO equiv to MS Publisher?

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 11 18:38:15 UTC 2009

Is there something analogous to MS Publisher in OO?

In case I've posed the wrong question, let me tell you what it is that I
want to do:

I want to create posters (flyers, coupons, posters with or without
tear-off phone numbers) for my piano tuning business.

What I /do/ have going for me is a very nice logo that my brother made
(which he sends me as .jpg, .tif or anything else I might need). That he
is my brother is germane here in that he won't charge me a penny, so I
don't like to ask too much. I hope there is no one here that thinks that
not charging me is precisely why I /should/ use him extensively. ;)

I am seeing that even 12 yr olds are doing in school what I cannot do at
home: combining pictures, words and photographs in any arrangement on a
page (including text on top of pictures). My sad attempts in OO Writer
to make posters have presented me with challenges such as the following:

- I can type under or over my logo.jpg but not beside it. [The 12 yr
olds tell me they can easily type anything over, under, beside, or on
any image.]
- I get images from the Internet but they have 'copyright' (or somesuch)
stamped across them. [The 12 yr olds tell me they just get images from
google and easily (legally?) strip the unwanted text from them.]

Here's an example of what I would like to do:

Make a poster with my logo, add '$10 off for new clients' (this text
anywhere on any angle I like), and add an image of a section of a piano
keyboard (I don't have such an image).

If you suggest I use GIMP I will probably just bite the bullet and hire
an artist. I know my limitations - I've seen the set up dialogue for
GIMP and I am not going there.

I do have a Windows machine but I use it solely for music recording (as
linux gave me too much grief in that area) - I've been advised to keep
it that way. So, I gotta do this on linux.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris