ifconfig data interpretation

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 9 14:08:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:27:45PM -0400, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> Proc being made deprecated, are we talking the whole proc is being deprecated?

Well the kernel developers certainly tend to resist anyone adding stuff
to proc.  But no ifconfig is being deprecated since the ip utils are
the current and maintained way to manage networking.

> What is it being replaced by? Where do I get started ?...
>
> Isn't proc used for debugging and  dont other utilities like ps and
> free use this file system?
>
> Whats it being replaced with?

Well to a large extent /sys is replacing a lot of /proc, but /proc isn't
going away any time soon.  Just ifconfig.

The fact that ifconfig uses /proc instead of netlink is a good reason
for ifconfig to go away though.

--
Len Sorensen