ifconfig data interpretation

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 9 00:27:45 UTC 2009

Hi Len,

Proc being made deprecated, are we talking the whole proc is being deprecated?

What is it being replaced by? Where do I get started ?...

Isn't proc used for debugging and  dont other utilities like ps and
free use this file system?

Whats it being replaced with?

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:40:10PM +0000, Peter wrote:
>> Why should ip replace the simple set of old tools ?! ip is quite complex and i
>> cannot see it easily integrated into, f.ex. busybox, without creating unduely
>> huge applications.
>
> Because ifconfig uses /proc and ip uses netlink.  /proc is essentially
> deprecated, has no ability to retrieve multiple pieces of data at once
> without issues of syncrhonization.  ifconfig doesn't show more than 9
> characters in an interface name (which is allowed 15).
>
> ip replaces ifconfig and ifrename and route and a number of other
> tools, and is actually maintained and has new features being added.
> ifconfig is simply obsolete and stagnent.
>
> Get used to ip because someday that's all you will have and it is already
> a better and faster tool (parsing text from /proc is not an efficient
> way to get data).
>
> Remember nslookup?  Well its not there anymore, because it too was
> replaced by a better tool.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Dave Germiquet