scary things at CRTC

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 8 18:39:37 UTC 2009

Madison Kelly wrote:

> > To me, I see anyone who dismisses the beliefs, or lack thereof, of
> > others with simple adjectives like "insane" as being equal foolish and
> > close-minded.
> >
> > Madi
>
> What I meant by this is that when someone simply dismisses someone
> else's views, beliefs, opinions or what have you out of hand, it closes
> the door on discussion, hurts people's feelings and results in people
> getting defensive. (run on sentence much?)
>
> I was raised Catholic and when I left the church I was angry. I mean
> Livid. I thought all religion was crap, that it's followers were simply
> idiots.
>
> It wasn't until I calmed the heck down and actually *talked* to people
> of various faiths that I was able to see the value in religion. I still
> have no time for the organizations behind major religions, but
> individual people's faith I can respect, if not agree with.

I absolutely agree...however, my problem is not with anyone's individual
beliefs, it is when people, without making the slightest effort to educate
themselves, equate my efforts to arrive at a factual and scientific
understanding of the world with their faith or religion. People can believe
what they want about God or Buddha, but they should stay away from commenting
on science until they understand it. Like Lennart said (if I understood him
correctly) not all opinions have equal weight. Some are backed up by a more
complete understanding. When someone says 'I believe science is the same as
faith', they are betraying an obvious and extensive _lack_ of understanding of
what science even means, at its most basic level.

This is why, for example, I did not make any comments about religion,
beyond what had already been established by its proponents, because I do not
pretend to understand in the slightest why people believe what they do. I
certainly would appreciate the same consideration from the non-scientific crowd.

I don't care to change anyone's mind to think like me, but I'll be damned if
I'll sit back and watch these insidious lies about science being spread
around.