network problem

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 8 16:56:59 UTC 2009

Thomas Milne wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> So I've run into a really strange network problem. Box X had IP Y. IP Y was
>> moved to box Z. Box X and Z are behind the same switch, and use the same
>> gateway. The switch is a 3Com 4400.
>>
>> The IP is accessible by any host behind the switch. But it only routes
>> properly when on box X. Box Z, no luck. I've tested iptables on box Z, and
>> disabled it just to be sure, no luck. Box Z also works with all the other
>> IPs it has assigned to it, that are on the same subnet as IP Y.
>>
>> I'm thinking it is an arp cache on the switch or router, but don't have
>> access to either to check. You can see where I'm going, how can I get box Z
>> to be accessible? Arp?
>>

> Don't just move the IP from X to Z, move the network card as well.

Why should it be necessary to move the NIC?  I've often moved IP
addresses, without changing cards.  And, with lots of equipment, there's
no card to move.  Also, the contents of an arp cache are temporay. .
They should clear out automagically after a few minutes.  A reboot would
certainly flush any cache entries.