scary things at CRTC

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 8 03:50:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>>
>> | From: Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>
>>
>> | Not to mention they want Christian websites to give "equal time" to all
>> other
>> | faiths.
>>
>> Can you explain this further?  As far as I know, the CRTC has nothing
>> to say about the content of web sites.  In the most abstract sense,
>> they regulate natural monopolies and there is none in web sites.
>>

> Well, a Christian organization that I have had no reason to mistrust (I can
> just /hear/ the obvious retort to /that/) has alerted me that the CRTC is
> trying to change that. So, if I put up a website called
> truthasrevealedinthebible.com I also have to include pages in there (or
> links or whatever) of completely opposing views. The commercial equivalent
> of this would be if coca-cola.com had to host pages and links to pepsi.com.
> I fear this thread will get ugly pretty quickly now (not my intention), so
> I'll withdraw until I've contacted the CRTC myself. Though, I'm sure someone
> will invoke a certain dead despot before this thread gets really out of
> hand.

This smells like something made-up.

How would you create a law in the first place to define this?  How
would you establish an enforcement mechanism for this?  What would be
the penalty for failing to follow this?

Those would be necessary things for there to be any kind of mechanism
to enforce such a thing, and all three are very challenging to define.

This smells like the sort of thing that would get emitted by the sorts
of people that:
a) Take "Chick Publications" completely seriously...
b) Think that the most serious issue in our society is the problem
that aluminium companies are forcing us to pay to put their waste, in
the form of fluoride, into the water supply...
c) Seriously think that the 13th tribe of Israel moved to England...
d) Think there's a conspiracy to hide that 40,000 Americans are killed
each year as part of witchcraft ceremonies...

If you can't find a reference to the bill or regulation, it's really
rather likely that the claim about "some law" is nonsense.

One of the downsides to the Internet is that it makes it much easier
to spread nonsense really quickly, even faster than a good tractor can
spread manure...
Fran Lebowitz  - "Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep."