Wayback

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 5 15:35:21 UTC 2009

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Many years ago, I worked on a Teleregister "computer" in the old Toronto
| Stock Exchange building at 234 Bay St..

Interesting.

|    It was later
| updated to send the data to a Ferranti Packard 6000 computer, which was
| located on the 1st floor, just off the lobby.

The FP6000 is an interesting computer too.

It was designed and built in Canada (although there is some dispute about the
amount and significance of the British contribution to the design).
Very few were sold.

The design was copied by Ferranti => ICL in the UK as their
quick-as-possible response to IBM's System/360 announcement.  It was
the basis of the ICL 1900 family which was quite wide-spread in the UK
and a few former colonies.  Not much takeup elsewhere (including
here).

The UK folks mostly don't know this connection.

(All this is from my memory, which suffers bit-rot.)