LoneCoder: Writing Computer Books and Bill C-61

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 28 23:56:48 UTC 2008

Ken O. Burtch wrote:

> My latest Lone Coder entry.
> http://www.pegasoft.ca/coder/coder_september_2008.html

Ken, have you read Cory Doctorow's first collection of essays?
It's title is "(c)ontent" and the author's description follows:

Today (September 9, 2008), Tachyon Books and I are launching my
latest book, "Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity,
Copyright, and the Future of the Future", my first collection of
essays. In it are 28 essays about everything from copyright and
DRM to the layout of phone-keypads, the fallacy of the semantic
web, the nature of futurism, the necessity of privacy in a digital
world, the reason to love Wikipedia, the miracle of fanfic, and
many other subjects. The book sports a very fine Introduction by
John Perry Barlow, and was designed by typography legend
John D Berry.

I’m especially chuffed about John’s superb design, because I’m
giving the whole electronic text away in the hopes of selling
more printed objects, and the fact that this is one of the
best-looking books I’ve ever read really makes the case for
owning the p-book as well as the e-book (there’s an essay on
this subject in the book, too, natch).

As with "Little Brother", I’m running a donations program for
this book: if you love the book and want to donate something
to me for it, you can do so by buying a copy for a librarian
or teacher (teachers and librarians: you can request a copy
for your institution). This worked incredibly well for "Little
Brother": we’ve gotten hundreds of copies of that hardcover
into the hands of worthy, cash-strapped institutions thanks
to the generosity of my readers. /end quote

the Future" --- http://craphound.com/content/

.