debian and nvidia drivers

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 28 17:08:57 UTC 2008

Jamon Camisso wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
> > Just got Debian Lenny up and runnning last night, having a few headaches
> > mainly because I'm just not used to it.
> >
> > 1st off, I _did_ see Lennart's howto on installing the NVidia drivers the
> > 'debian way', and I understand the reasoning for using that method, however
> > I would like to, if possible, use the latest drivers available from NVidia.
> >
> > I am at the point now where I've got the appropriate headers for my kernel
> > installed, but when I run the NVidia installer I get a message that the GCC
> > used to compile my kernel is not the same as the currently installed kernel,
> > and that the 2.6 kernel will reject modules built with a GCC that doesn't
> > match.
> >
> > Anyone else ran into this and/or have any sol'ns for this?
>
> "export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1" and then running the installer will work.
> Whatever version the installer complains about is the one to use. You
> may have to apt-get it, don't recall.

That did it, thanks :-)

One weird thing, in my xorg.conf my GeForce 7600 showed up as 'generic', and
now that I've enabled the nvidia driver, I've got vertical stripes of slight
blurriness.

ie., about every few inches on my screen, the text is blurred a bit, then
clear, then blurred, etc. Would that be something like a bad refresh rate?