make my thinkpad into a typewriter

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 25 22:25:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 22:03 -0400, Giles Orr wrote:

> http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/
>
> I'm fairly certain that xmonad includes the toggling you're thinking
> of.  Most tiling window managers do, although you may not be as happy
> with it as you think.  The commonest problem is that most of them act
> in a manner similar to wmii, which allows you to choose whether you
> want a tiled or a free-floating desktop, but not ready toggling after
> that.  And even when you have the free-floating, you have to use a
> modifier key in combination with a mouse press to move a window.
>
> Awesome does exactly what you're looking for, allowing very easy
> toggling between several tiling layouts and free-floating windows ...
> but there's a major problem.  You were looking for a lightweight
> window manager.  Awesome is one of the "heaviest" there is at this
> point.  I had a bit of a debate with the author about the number of
> libraries (mostly font stuff) he's packed into it recently, and he
> argued that everybody has the resources to run it.  I looked at my
> quad core box with 4G of memory and had a hard time arguing, but you
> could make a really good case for it.  Or you could just get and build
> an older version: 2.0 should be okay, 2.3.2 is not.

thanks ian and meng!  And nice to meet you, Giles, I used your bash
prompt howto way back!

it sounds like i should try out awesome -- though it's too bad that it's
so bulky.  the behaviour you describe in the other tiling managers --
where toggling between fullscreen & not is a slightly clumsy operation
-- doesn't seem like what i want. though maybe what i should do is get
more used to switching virtual desktops -- still doesn't seem quite
right.  I'll try openbox too -- thanks for the config, william!  i'll
take more suggestions too, if folksstill have them...

matt

--
Matt Price
matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org