TASK - September 24th

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 19:53:16 UTC 2008

Just to note the Toronto Area Security Klatch folks are having their
monthly meeting September 24th, details below. Note that these folks
are platform agnostic, so material on Windows is as welcome as Linux
or Solaris or .... .

The meetings are free to attend and almost all the people attending (a
normal meeting being 75+ people) will be in business casual dress.
Also note that the B in the room number means basement (a common error
for first time visitors to these meetings is to go to the 2nd
floor...).

Colin McGregor

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

TASK Wed September 24th Event Reminder
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:15 AM
From:
"TASK Steering Committee" <info-xmqwG2hw2hQ at public.gmane.org>
Add sender to Contacts

Once again, I must apologize for the late notice updating you with
this month's TASK event detail.  Things are crazy this month leading
up to SecTor 2008!  The good news is that the content and presenters
this year are completely stunning.  We've pulled the best speakers
from literally all over the world, to present the very latest security
research.  We've also got some fantastic Canadian talent providing new
research and Canadian perspective.  If you haven't bought your ticket,
don't hestitate any longer!  Check out the schedule and site at
http://www.sector.ca/ and save 10% using TASK08 as the discount code.

Now for TASK this month.  We have Jerry Gaertner from Soberman LLP
coming to speak on Technology Crime - Computer Fraud.  Jerry has
extensive experience in the areas of fraud, money laundering and
computer crimes.  So it will definitely be a educational and fun talk.
 Also up this month, we have our very own Robert Beggs speaking on
virtualization security.

Details below.

Sincerely,

Brian Bourne
TASK Steering Committee

EVENT DETAILS:
--------------------------------------
When: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 6pm-9pm
Location: Pharmacy Building, Room B250, 144 College St.
Visit the website for more details and directions.

Jerry's Abstract:
We hear about these all the time - but mostly, the media
sensationalize or simply get things wrong. What is the truth about
technology crime and computer fraud?

This session will look at real instances, real legislation, real
perpetrators in an attempt to shed some light on this fascinating, but
poorly understood area. What was done? How were they detected? What
legal action was taken? What technology tricks were used?

Robert's Abstract:
Virtualization, which allows users to run multiple operating systems
on a single physical box, can reduce costs and improve network
manageability. From a security perspective, this simplified management
can enhance system security, and virtualized systems are supporting
security in roles such as secure software development, malware
analysis, and disaster recovery

But what are the risks of putting virtual systems into your production
network? This seminar will review the perceived, and real, risks that
you should consider before deploying a virtual environment. Technical
attacks, such as attacks against the hypervisor layer, and
organizational and operational issues will be critically examined.
We'll conclude with a review of the practical steps that an
organization can take to mitigate the security challenges of
virtualization