Serial Ports

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 22 17:47:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 12:06:19PM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
> One device is using ttyS0, the motherboard serial port.  The device is an
> amateur radio transceiver which allows computer control of some functions.
> All I want really is the freq. reading for transmitting and receiving and
> perhaps the ability to change bands. The transceiver uses RTS/CTS to control
> data flow.  Works just fine when initialized.
>
> I have added a PCI card with 2 serial ports.  One port is connected to an X10
> home automation application.  I am pretty sure RTS is not required to
> communicate with the X10,  Model CM11A Interface.
>
> The other port is connected to a hardware digital modem. The control program
> program needs to tell the modem to turn on the transmitter and to send data
> from the soundcard to the transmitter.  It does this using RTS/CTS.  As soon
> as I initialize this one,  Serial port 0 is killed.
>
> The serial card uses 16C550 UARTs and is packaged and sold by Star Tech, Model
> PCI2S550.  Recognized and setup during booting.
>
> I just remembered I do have a USB to Serial  adaptor.  I should check and see
> if /dev/usbttyS0 [?]  works I guess.  Dumb me, forgot about that.
>
> Thanks for the info Lennart, that your card is ok.  Perhaps I should have
> spent more than $60 for mine.

The digi card isn't cheap, but works very well (supports higher than
115200bps, 64byte fifo, 32bit fifo transfers (not 8bit), etc).  The jsm
driver is quite well maintained in the kernel.  They show up as
/dev/ttyn#, rather than ttyS#.  The n stands for 'neo' which is what
digi calls their cards.

--
Len Sorensen