JOSM Question

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 20 23:52:08 UTC 2008

On 9/20/08, richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org <richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Dear Colin,
>
> Good to see that you are enjoying OpenStreetMap.  Here are some quick tips
> for the josm editor.
>
>> Very late last evening I got back from a visit to see family in
>> eastern Ontario. Basicly a very good trip, and yes I did take my $20
>> GPS receiver on several drives in / around small town Ontario...
>
> Cool.  Connected to a laptop / portable?

Connected to a P4 2.4 GHz laptop that rode on the front passenger seat...

So, now Perth, Ontario has a lot more data and Smiths Falls, Ontario
has a bit more data.

Ironic bit is that to look at the map you might think Perth is bigger
than Smiths Falls, truth is Smiths Falls is quite a bit larger than
Perth. From my point of view, well, I have family in Perth, and the
only thing that was of interest to me on this trip in Smiths Falls was
the VIA Rail station...

>> So, now I have a bunch of .gpx files that look fantastic when plotted
>> in the JOSM program. But at the moment I am at a slight loss on using
>> some JOSM features and have the following questions:
>
>> - How do I successfully delete parts of a track? Most of the plots
>> started and/or stopped in my mother's driveway, and I would like to
>> drop that driveway from the data...
>
> gpsbabel will split gpx files into smaller files where there is a gap from
> shutting the device off.  Removing an arbitrary beginning/end of a file
> can be done manually (insert vi / emacs argument).
>
> A gpx clipper plugin for josm would be handy but I'm not aware of one.
>
>> - How do I tag everything as being roadways? Since everything was done
>> from car, all the tracks are roadways. While I would be happy to tag
>> what sort of roads things are later (i.e.: residential, commercial,
>> secondary highway, etc...), for now I just want to tag these as roads,
>> and get them uploaded...
>
> You've loader your GPX file.
> Download the existing data for the area. (Ctrl-Shift-D)
> Select the Add nodes and ways tool (a)
> Click to add nodes and ways, the current way  stay selected / highlighted.
> Click "add" in the properties/memberships box to add a tag (Alt-a)
> key=highway; value=road, for a generic road
> key=highway; value=motorway, divided limited access highways (400-s, DVP,
> etc)
> key=highway; value=primary, King's Highways Ontario hwy 2-148
> key=highway; value=secondary, urban arterial roads, major county roads
> key=highway; value=tertiary, connecting county roads, connecting
> neighbourhood roads,
> key=highway; value=residential, residential roads
> key=highway; value=unclassified, other minor roads that are not residential.
>
> See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Canadian_tagging_guidelines
>

>> - Once the above is done any thoughts on uploading?
>
> yes!  Upload your edits.  Upload button or (ctrl-shift-u)
>
> Best regards,
> Richard

Thanks....

Colin McGregor