Lightning and gdata-provider in Ubuntu (was ": Evolution issue")

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 18 16:32:05 UTC 2008

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:03:18PM -0600, Marc Lanctot wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know of a site that provides a "writable remote ICS"
>> link/file? Lightning is nice, and I love it, but I'm using Google
>> calendar and would be nice if I could add stuff to my calendar from
>> within Lightning (or Sunbird) rather than having to do it from Google's
>> web interface.
>
> You can view/update your Google calendar via Lightning.  Google for
> instructions.  It involves obtaining the live ICS link and subscribing
> to it from Lightning.

Has anybody got write access working on their Google calendar through
lightning?

I'm using Ubuntu.. I installed the lightning-extension package using apt
-- the only way to get lightning to work at all in Ubuntu -- but then I
don't see an Ubuntu package for the gdata-provider extension. So I
download gdata-provider-0.4.xpi from the Mozilla 2.0 download page for
Linux, and add it on as usual. When I restart, I try File -> New ->
Calendar -> Network.. there is no "Google Calendar" which is supposed to
be there from screenshots I've seen. And, when I list the add-ons, the
gdata-provider says I'm "missing additional items" despite the fact that
I installed these packages: libgdata-google1.2-1,
libgdata-google1.2-dev, libgdata1.2-1, libgdata1.2-dev .

Anybody experience similar problems with gdata-provider + lightning in
Ubuntu?

--
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the the universe.