image-to-fax solution?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 13 14:19:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Perhaps Hylafax.

I'd say "Perhaps not."

Hylafax is a whole "suite", or "platform."  It's definitely not "just
something that sends faxes;" it is a whole "management system" that
does WAY more than that.

It can actually be something of a distraction to always look to the
"all singing, all dancing" solution (especially if it sings and dances
loudly!).

A package I used the last time I was prototyping faxing was efax:
http://www.cce.com/efax/

One of its components (and there are rather fewer than with Hylafax!)
is "efix" which converts images between the fax image format and stuff
like Postscript.  That one program may be the main bit that is wanted
here.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling