script to combine colums from multiple files

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 12 20:21:04 UTC 2008

Neil Watson wrote:
> How would I go about cutting selected columns from multiple files and
> combining them into single file?  I so used to processing files line by
> line that this problem escapes me.

I once used vi to highlight a column for deletion. It was a great way to
delete the garbage on the left border of a web page and be left with
only the intended content. I would think you could also copy and paste.
Unfortunately, I have no recollection of how to do it, but it was simple
to do. It simply involved moving the cursor right and down from a
reference point and any size column could be selected. However, I don't
think it could be done in batch. I'm not sure if this way is any better
or worse than previous suggestions, maybe someone else could comment.

John.