Strange problems trying to access web servers

Henry de Valence hdevalence-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 10 21:52:08 UTC 2008

On Wed September 10 2008 10:37:12 am Tyler Aviss wrote:
> A few tests:
>
> Try "curl" and see if it shows some weird response?
When I try using curl on a site which works, I get a printout of the site's
html to the console (normal, I presume). When I try it on a non-working site,
it waits about a second, and then exits without printing anything.
> Try "telnet www.somesite.com 80" and see if that can establish a connection
$ telnet slashdot.org 80
Trying 216.34.181.45...
Connected to slashdot.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host:slashdot.org

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:34:24 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_perl/1.31-rc4
SLASH_LOG_DATA: shtml

Connection closed by foreign host.
<exit>
$ telnet planetkde.org 80
Trying 67.18.167.98...
Connected to planetkde.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host:planetkde.org

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:38:20 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.13

Connection closed by foreign host.
<exit>
This is weird, because it gives me an 'ok' even though it doesn't work. So:
$ telnet planetkde.org 80
Trying 67.18.167.98...
Connected to planetkde.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host:planetkde.org

<waits forever>
whereas doing the same GET / for slashdot.org results in a huge dump of HTML
code and then the connection closes.