Tools for Doing Mass Deployments of Linux

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 10 15:59:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

The "Cloning a running Linux OS" thread inspired me to ask about doing
mass deployments of Linux.

I am helping a small school get their systems in order. At the moment,
it's all Windows and many of the machines in the lab are infested with
all manner of malware. Initially, we started out with the idea that we
were just going to do fresh installations of Windows XP only to discover
that was not feasible since we don't have appropriate licensing to
install XP Pro on all the machines. That would require us to purchase XP
Pro licenses, which for a school is not a big deal, if only Microsoft
would sell them. Apparently, they now have to buy Vista licenses and
there is some question as to whether a "downgrade" would be allowed or
not and whether those Vista keys would work for XP Pro. One thing we are
certain of is that some unknown number of the machines and some of the
software they are currently running will not be supported by Vista so
running Vista is not an option. Enter, Linux, though not without some
resistance, mostly out of fear of the unknown.

I have thought about using LTSP but it seems like such a waste to turn
Pentium 4 2.4GHz+ and Core2 Duo machines with between 2GB and 4GB of RAM
into thin clients. There is experimental support for local apps but I'm
mindful of the fact that Linux doesn't just have to be good in this
environment. It has to be close to perfect to gain acceptance amongst
the passive (and active) resisters so I'm wary of things marked
"experimental".

Ideally, I want the ease of centralized management of LTSP but with fat
clients that don't have to netboot and can local apps. For instance,
let's say I want to install EduBuntu on each desktop. In advance, I want
to select packages, locales and time zone, integrate with a directory,
and merge all the updates into the installation source. From the server,
I want to wake up all the client machines on the LAN and do a push
installation via PXE based on my installation source. Once the
installation has finished, I want to shut the clients down. The clients
will not store any user data so it should be feasible to repeat the
process when we update the "master" installation source by adding,
removing, or updating software. I realize that we could automate this
using Puppet or some such tool but the fresh, push installation is
probably a better route to go for the sake of keeping the desktop
machines synchronized and uniform.

DRBL <http://drbl.sourceforge.net/> supposedly does all this but it has
not exactly been the most intuitive thing to configure.

I looked at kickstart for Ubuntu but it seems broken because I don't see
any package selections. KIWI for openSuse looked mildly interesting
except I feel like a fish out of water with openSuse, not to mention
that I got random freezes on one of the newer Core2 Duo machines with
openSuse 11. (Remember, it has to be close to perfect.) I won't even
consider Fedora because it changes too quickly. CentOS 5.2 had trouble
with the Intel Q965 graphics chipset. Besides, K/Ubuntu is perfectly
fine. Debian's FAI, which is also available for Ubuntu, might be an
option, though I have no experience with it.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, well, maybe except for "run
Gentoo/*BSD/OpenSolaris".
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay