Sun JDK questions

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 8 21:30:32 UTC 2008

Hi Pals,

I need some advice here. I have an JDK version 1.4 running on Sunfire
hardware. I am planning to migrate this development environment to a
x86_64 system. It looks like JDK version 1.4 is not supported on
X86_64, so I will have to use JDK version 1.5.

Question it, what are the possibles problem I can expect when
attempting above considering there is some jave classes that are not
supplied by sun on the old server? Will they work on the new setup?

I am not a java developer, so the questions are a little trivial. I do
however believe the hardware architecture difference will not be a
problem due to java virtual machine isolating hardware. Moving classes
from 1.4 to 1.5 is what I am not sure how it will work.  Are they
forward compatable?

Thanks

Regards,

William