Open Street Map - September 20th...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 8 02:15:51 UTC 2008

On 9/7/08, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | My call for someone to take the lead on the Open Street Map session
> | for September 20th seems to have fallen on dead ears, sigh. So, what I
> | am hoping is that that announcements I plan to make at this weeks
> | GTALug meeting and Unix Unanimous meetings will get a bit further...
>
> Good luck!

Thanks.

> | In other words I don't yet know how to break a street that
> | is listed on the map into two parts...).
>
> You might consider asking this on
>   http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>
> I think that Open Street Maps is a great project.  My daughter and I
> hope to contribute but we're not quite there yet.

Not a whole lot involved in contributing. Here is most of what I have
done so far:

- Find a chunk of the city that has streets laid out but not named
that is within walking distance of my home, or in a part of the city I
am about to visit on other business.
- Print said street outline out.
- Collect printout, a ball point pen and something to support the
printout (note pad, clip board, etc.). Take items collect to targetted
area.
- Walk around, make notes of street names, places of worship, schools,
parks and other potentily interesting points.
- Make notes on map errors, and/or omissions (as noted in another
e-mail, I have found some).
- Go home, log into the Open Street Map website.
- Using the fairly simple web based edittor, type in the data collected.

So, I've filled in some small gaps. Every bit helps. Next step for me
is going to be learing how to deal with GPS data...

> I recommend it to TLUGers.  Richard Weait has given inspiring
> presentations.

Yes, he does a first rate Open Street Map presentation...

Colin McGregor