pcHDtv5500

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 6 13:34:38 UTC 2008

I am cc:'ing this to the local MythTV mailing list as I think the
answers would be of interest to both the TLUG and MythTV lists.

On 9/5/08, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> An added note, what attenna would you guys suggest for an apartment?

Not sure. I started with a "rabbit ear" antenna in dining room with my
pcHDTV5500 tuner card (which only allowed me to get CBLT well and CFTO
so-so). Then I went to a Winegard GS-2200, an antenna that reviewers
consider to be a so-so performer for a moderate price (which I bought
via e-bay, so a so-so performer at an excellent price). One big
selling point for me was that the Winegard GS-2200 was small enough
that it could go through the small trap door into my attic, and MIGHT
be good for you... You might also want to consider the Wineguard
square shooter series of antenna, which were also designed to fit into
small spaces...

> And how many stations are actually retrievable?

Well, here is a list of stations that are currently transmitting in
the GTA : http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/index.html . Of the
Toronto / Hamilton / Buffalo (I don't get any of the Rochester
stations), CITY-TV and CBLFT are marginal (I get them, but often with
pixelisation and audio drop outs), and I don't get OMNI 1... The rest
are normally good to excellent... This being with the Wineguard
GS-2200 antenna mounted outdoors (a shift from its' original home in
the attic...).

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> I just bought an pcHDTV5500 and was wondering how you guys use it for
>> digital HD channels? I notice the "Antenna" site only has states.

Yes, I got one of those cards last year, nice PCI HDTV tuner card. The
card came complete with printed documentation as to how to make it
work with Red Hat (this is card were Linux is a vendor supported OS,
but MS-Windows isn't :-) ).

If you want to use this card with MythTV/Schedules Direct there is a
small trick, you set up a TV reception line-up in US ZIP code 14174
(Youngstown, New York (the closes spot in the US to Toronto)). I've
noted a number of tricks like this on the GTALug wiki at :
http://tlug.ss.org/wiki/MythTV

>> I do not think I can use this with rogers but  does anyone have advice
>> using it in Toronto?

Since August of 2007 Rogers has encrypted ALL digital TV signals,
meaning for any sort of digital content you must pay Rogers a "service
fee"  for a descrambler box.

The only way to go in my books for HDTV in Toronto is via antenna...

Colin McGregor