one-day sale on hackable wireless router

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 3 15:54:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:23 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Having said all that, the WRT54GL is certainly the standard hackable
> router.  Thus it is the best supported.  Its limitations only show up when
> you want to get really creative.

What I've tended to find (after not really working on it terribly hard
:-)) is that extra capabilities aren't always all that they're cracked
up to be.  I want my router to be a simple appliance, and adding extra
things to need to manage adversely affects that simplicity.

I have been running an ASUS WL-500W, lately, and while it has the
*potential* to do lots of extra stuff (e.g. - it can host a bittorrent
server, if I plug in a USB disk), the more I try to add to it, the
less that it is a simple appliance that I can easily re-initialize.
And it seems to drop wireless connectivity more often than I like.

It seems plausible that a simpler WRT54GL would be more reliable, and
that might be better, even though theoretically it isn't nearly as
capable.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling