new CBC Radio 2 web streamsy

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 2 17:29:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Julian C. Dunn wrote:

> Hi TLUGgers:
>
> Some (many?) of you are CBC Radio fans -- which I've noticed because you
> have come up with novel solutions for capturing Windows Media streams
> and turning them into something useful [1]
>
> Today, CBC Radio launched four new web streams as part of the Radio 2
> revitalization project [2]. It's not made clear on the Radio 2 site, but
> these streams are in streaming VBR MP3 format, for cross-platform
> compatibility.

    I'm getting a lot of

> CBC is providing a Flash-based player to play the streams, but you can
> also use the direct M3U playlist links in your favourite Linux-based MP3
> player:
>
> Canadian Classical
> http://icy1.abacast.com/cbc-canadianclassicalhi-192.m3u
>
> Classical
> http://icy1.abacast.com/cbc-classicalhi-192.m3u
>
> Jazz
> http://icy1.abacast.com/cbc-jazzhi-192.m3u
>
> Singer/Songwriter
> http://icy1.abacast.com/cbc-songwriterhi-192.m3u

     xmms doesn't like remote m3u files, so I used their contents; they
     work:

http://66.216.18.230:80/cbc-canadianclassicalhi-192
http://66.216.18.230:80/cbc-classicalhi-192
http://66.216.18.230:80/cbc-jazzhi-192
http://66.216.18.230:80/cbc-songwriterhi-192

     However, I got many brief (<.125sec) interruptions.

     Streamripper works well with them, and saves each piece under
     composer's name and name of the work; great!

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster         <http://woodbine-gerrard.com>
    ========= Do not reply to the From: address; use Reply-To: ========