piano-tuning software

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 2 00:30:43 UTC 2008

Elliott Chapin wrote:
> I think you've missed my point; let me elaborate: Beyond, say,
> setting up CyberTuner according to pre-tuning consultation with the
> player there are questions such as: We have two of the same
> make/model/year - what are the strings like right now (usually
> different)? What are you going to do when all three strings of a
> single treble note are false with different internal beats (a quite
> common situation). And that's not all ...
>
> CyberTuner might have the best chance if you're tuning at the Ex or in
> a Legion hall on Sat. afternoon in a Legion Hall as I have had to do.
> Machines, s/w can speed things up, but even then there is no
> substitute for a good ear to vet the result.

Dude, I have otosclerosis in one ear and degraded hearing in the other.
I don't have a "good ear". I told you all this offline. I wasn't asking
for advice on whether or not to use tuning software (I'm going to). What
I want is to know is if there is a good (preferably gui) app to run on
linux. I thought I would At least check that out before shelling out
1200 bucks for CyberTuner. A local guy who's been tuning for twenty-five
years says CyberTuner is the best thing since sliced bread. That's the
only information I need on CyberTuner. So, if you have step-by-step
instructions on how to use 'piano' (which does not look like it has
stretch-tuning capability) then please give them to me - otherwise let's
let this thread die.

Thanks,

Chris