debugging javascript

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 1 09:26:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 22:35 -0400, Ian Petersen wrote:
> Serves me right for editing code in GMail.  I sent my preceding post
> too early.  Sorry about the spam.
>
> I think you want something like the following:
>
> function MyMouseEvent(e) {
>   this.e = e || window.event;
>
>   this.x = this.e.pageX || this.e.clientX;
>   this.y = this.e.pageY || this.e.clientY;
>
>   this.target = this.e.target || this.e.srcElement;
> }

Well, this is a much more concise expression of essentially the same
code. I used it, and got the same result. The list, which is still
retrieved, is still not parsed to consrtuct a menu. I just changed the
name of the function to MouseEvt(e).

in the previous email, you wrote:

> When I tried debugging a local copy from a file:// URL, the open()
> method did succeed, but the send(null) failed.  In my case, since the
> send() failed, the onreadystatechanged function was never invoked
> because the ready state never changed.  Have you verified that
> send(null) works for you?

I guess that is the central problem here. All I can say is that
send(null) doesn't generate an error in Firefox, and neither does the
send("") you suggested earlier.

Something we both didn't notice: arrayItems has to be declared globally.

Paul