TASK October Event - Wednesday Oct 29

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 28 17:41:33 UTC 2008

I thought this might be of general interest. The Toronto Area Security
Klatch folks are going to have their monthly meeting Wednesday Oct.
29th, details below. Do keep in mind that room B250 is to be found in
the basement, not second floor :-) . The meeting is free to attend.

We have two great speakers coming out this month, on two very
interesting topics. Should prove to be another great month for
content.

Be sure also to read the Digital Defence offer that bottom of this
email.  As we begin planning for 2009 we're also looking for speakers.
 Please contact me if you're interested.

 When: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 6pm-9pm
 Location: Pharmacy Building, Room B250, 144 College St.
 Visit the website for more details and directions.

Topic: Computer Fraud – Computer Crime
Speaker: Jerrard B. Gaertner, Director of Technology Assurance
Services at Soberman LLP
The Criminal Code of Canada deals with some computer offences directly
(theft of telecommunications) and with others indirectly (fraud,
theft, electronic distribution of child pornography). However, many
people believe the Code is out of date or ineffective when it comes to
computer-related offences.
 • Just what is computer crime? How is it different from other offences?
 • Are the rules of evidence different? Is the standard of proof different?
 • What are some of the ways in which computer crime is perpetrated?
 • How can computer crime be prevented (or can it)?
 • How are investigations different when a computer is involved?
In this presentation, we will try to separate the hype from the facts
and explain some of the things that IT professionals should know about
computers and crime in Canada.

Topic: Automating security: log and vulnerability management
Speaker: Pedrag Zivic
Mr. Zivic will address vulnerability, threat and risk management
automation experiences, provide review of tools and speculate on
future direction of risk and security management. The talk will go
into brief description of initial intention, reality, pains, lessons
learned and solutions found. Mr. Zivic will talk about his geek vision
for the future of security and risk management.

 Sincerely,

 Brian Bourne
 TASK Steering Committee

DigitalDefence is offering its 2-weekend workshop to prepare TASK
members for the CISSP certification offered by ISC2. During the 4-day
session, experienced instructors will provide an overview of the 10
domains of the Common Body of Knowledge, and highlight the areas that
students frequently have difficulty with. We will also provide
students with valuable studying and test-taking tips.

Previous sessions of the course have been quite successful, and the
pass rate of students who go on to write the exam at more than 90%!

The next session will be held on the weekends of 22-23 and 29-30
November. This will help to prepare students for the next exam known
to be scheduled for the GTA on 13 December 2008.

Cost of the session for TASK members, which includes study materials, is $540.

If you would like more details, please join us at the next TASK
meeting or contact the instructor directly at:
robert.beggs-7kUUosv42bfjnU0fXLXLJJVL4qR35lwC at public.gmane.org Register online at:
www.digitaldefence.ca/educate/schedule