Adding to Open Street Map on the cheap.

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 28 13:44:56 UTC 2008

Just thought I would note that Factory Direct (factorydirect.ca) had a
flyer in last Saturday's Toronto Star. In that flyer were two items of
interest to those interested in mapping, a coupon that will let you
get a copy of "Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 with GPS locator" for
$19.99 (buy the package, toss the software, the GPS locator does have
Linux drivers :-) ). They also have "Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007
with GPS locator" for $29.99. The difference between the locator
included with the two editions is the 2007 version is somewhat smaller
and is supposed to be a bit more sensitive.

I would be happy enough to pass on the coupon I got to any GTALug
person who would like it, the coupon expires November 2nd. I plan to
attend the NewTLUG meeting tonight and I plan to be at the TASK
(Toronto Area Security Klatch) meeting on Wednesday evening. Otherwise
the coupon would have to be picked up from me at my home near Yonge &
Eglinton...

I used the 2006 edition locator to map most of the streets in Perth ON
in September, locator on the dashboard, Linux running laptop in the
front passenger seat, all of which worked quite well. Anyone with a
laptop who wants to start playing with Open Street Map on a tight
budget, well, this is just the ticket.

Granted these GPS locators are a bad pick if you want to document
trails... but for streets, as seen from a car or truck. these are
great :-) .

Colin McGregor