disabling speaker

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 27 15:27:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 07:00:34PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Just a few impressions related to the subject.
>
> So what am I supposed to do when watching porno movies when all that
> sound goes also to PC speaker?

If anything other than 'beep' goes to the internal speaker, then
complain to the idiots that designed the machine.  it is a hardware
choice, not a software choice, and linux can't do anything about it.

A mixer setting might do something about it though.

> It seems that Linux does not have a way to disable PC speaker!

It does, but it sounds like you don't have a normal pc speaker, but more
likely one of those speakers hooked up to the onboard audio the way some
HP and compaq business desktops like to do (after all it gives you some
sound without having to buy a set of speakers).

> OK, there is one way I implemented: I opened computer and pulled out
> speaker cables from where they are connected. It works! ;)

Very effective method.

--
Len Sorensen