SneakerNet

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 27 11:49:33 UTC 2008

| From: Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling
| down the highway. -Tanenbaum, Andrew S. (1996).

I remember that being a notable line of Prof. David Morgan in a University
of Waterloo OS course in 1973 (plus or minus 1 year).  I think it came
from his Bell Labs experience.

According to this AST worked at Bell Labs when he was a grad student:
 http://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/geek-of-the-week/andrew-tanenbaum-geek-of-the-week/
Since he got his PhD in 1971, this would have been before I heard Morgan
say the phrase.

So: I don't know who said it first but it was long before 1996.