Media Players

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 21 19:25:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 01:15:31PM -0400, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> Does anyone know if these devices are based off mythtv?
>
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct
> <http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=017696&c
> id=516.863> &cmd=pd&pid=017696&cid=516.863

I am almost completely certain that it is not.  It is most likely just
using some codec chip that supports a lot of formats with some interface
for browsing available files and sending them to the codec for display.

The firmware is less than 4MB, so it sure isn't mythtv.

It is Linux based however, using a 2.4 kernel by the looks of it,
probable an ARM.  They appear to fail to provide the source code
anywhere on their website however.  In fact searching their support
forum, they seem to be failing miserably at GPL compliance in fact.
They also appear to not care.

--
Len Sorensen