NewEGG in Canada

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 16 20:09:25 UTC 2008

James Knott wrote:
> If you look at operating systems, you'll only find Windows.  I also
> notice they ship UPS.  If they ship from the U.S. direct to the
> customer, that could cause real problems, unless they handle getting it
> across the border, as UPS has obscene "broker" charges.

I've found that this is no longer _necessarily_ the case, if the sender
has an appropriate relationship with UPS much of that is taken care of
in advance.

Of course since Newegg now has a Canadian presence it likely now
collects GST on purchases, so collecting that at the border will not
likely be an issue. I've recently had things sent to me by UPS from
companies that had Canadian websites and American warehouses without
problem. This doesn't mean that Newegg shipments will be problem-free,
but it does mean that UPS no longer automatically means "cross-border
nightmare".

- Evan