Debian Lenny and release dates

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 15 22:17:06 UTC 2008

Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 3:39 PM, John Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> It looks like my drive is getting a bit full. Do I need the packages in
>> /var/cache/apt/archives in order to do the upgrade? If I clear it, I'm OK,
>> but not sure if that's where apt does it's look up to determine what needs
>> upgrading.
>
> You can safely clear out the package files in that directory; when you
> run an upgrade, new package files will get thrown in there.
>
> The value in keeping *some* of them is that if you want to install
> another Debian system, you could copy those package files over, and
> avoid the need to download them.
>
> I have frequently used a common NFS mount for /var/cache/apt/archives,
> so that when I run apt-get upgrade against 2 boxes, they don't both
> wind up downloading the same files twice.

I've been doing preseed installations via PXE booting on Ubuntu Hardy.
One of the things I learned was that apt-proxy is (still) broken and
apt-cacher works like a charm. The purpose of apt-cacher is to share the
packages in the cache with other machines. If it exists in the cache, it
will be passed to the client. If not, it will be fetched from an on-line
repository.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay