Debian Lenny and release dates

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 15 18:18:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:05:17AM -0400, John Moniz wrote:
> I have a fairly old Debian stable release on my home file server (either
> Woody or the one before). Can I still do a dist-upgrade? And what would
> that get me, the next release up from the one I have or would I end up
> with the latest stable release?

Doing a dist-upgrade more than one version is not well tested and
probably won't work.  Then again it might.

Doing a dist upgrade to whatever the next stable release from what it
has should work fine, and then repeat for each stable release until the
current one.

Before woody was potato.  That's a VERY long time ago.  I am not even
sure potato can read current debian package files.  Woody (3.0) probably
can, but even then I wouldn't recommend it.

2.2 (potato) -> 3.0 (woody) -> 3.1 (sarge) -> 4.0 (etch) should work.

Sometimes the release notes list a few things that might be necesary
before an upgrade, although they are rare. Unfortunately it appears it
might be the case for lenny when it is released that you have to update
apt, dpkg and aptitude first, before doing the dist-upgrade.  I hope
that is fixed somehow before release.

--
Len Sorensen