LoneCoder: Is Linux Ready for the Future?

Ken O. Burtch ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 13 16:39:34 UTC 2008

Some random musings this month in my column.

KB

"I had to go back to old school Linux principles. Deducing "nm" meant
"Network Manager", I had to hunt around confusing Fedora Project
website, find the Fedora file mirror, and manually downloaded the latest
updates for the Network Manager and installed them them with "rpm -Uvh
Net*". Once I got the network back up, the Red Hat package updater
wouldn't download any packages, saying there was a conflict. So using
"yum check-update" and "yum upgrade" on the command line, I installed
over eighty pending software updates...all without any conflicts. How is
the average Linux user supposed to figure this out?..."

"...This problem of desktop migration is one of the main issues holding
back the Linux desktop. What good is the greatest 3D effects (Compiz
Wikipedia), OS X-like features (Apple, Avant) and clever applications
(gDesklets Wikipedia) if they break every six months? But as companies
like Red Hat have said, the desktop environment is not their business
goal...even though we all use one, even Red Hat employees..."

http://www.pegasoft.ca/coder/coder_october_2008.html

Ken O. Burtch                                    Phone/Fax: 905-562-0848
  "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"               Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
  "Perl Phrasebook"              Blog: http://www.pegasoft.ca/coder.html