Partitioning on RHEL

Ansar Mohammed ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 11 06:07:27 UTC 2008

My 2c

1. If you have six hard disks, consider raid 1+0. (especially on a db
server)
2. If you have an instance where you need to page 10gb of memory to disk, it
probably means you have other, bigger issues. i.e what value does a 10gb
swap partition/file give you? That 2xRAM theory was created 10-12 years ago
when we had 8-32MB RAM on a system.
3. Swap files are as of 2.6 as fast as swap partitions and they can be moved
around.
4. Are you running the x64 edition of RHEL?