NTFS write access under Debian lenny

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 10 01:37:34 UTC 2008

I bought an external USB HD today, dumped some unimportant data onto
the 500GB NTFS volume at work, and brought it home.  My other external
HDs are one small vfat, and three larger ext3 volumes.  I decided it
would be nice if I could have one that was NTFS and would work with my
friend's computers (most of them are still on Windows).  So I just
plugged it in and typed "mount /dev/sdf1 /mnt/comstar/" as root, and
then mount shows "/dev/sdf1 on /mnt/comstar type ntfs (rw)" -
unfortunately, it's lying because I can't write to that volume
although it reads fine.  And honestly, I'm confused about _how_ it's
mounting it at all because there are at least two and perhaps three
different NTFS projects.  I don't seem to have NTFS-3G installed, and
the "fuse" module hasn't been loaded into the kernel so what's Debian
using?  Captive?  And why can't I write to the volume?  Google
searches tell me how to fix my problem ... but they all seem to be
starting from no NTFS access at all so I want to know where I'm
standing before I start tinkering.  Thanks.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org