Querying Palm contacts

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 16:41:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've been going through some Palm and Linux references in order to be
> able to query my Palm address book.  I use Jpilot without issue.  There
> is a tool called lbdb that is supposed to query the Palm files stored by
> jpilot.
> I am under the impression that there are two forms of Palm address
> books.  The current version is the contacts database.  The obsolete form
> is the address database.  I think that lbdb and it's supporting Perl
> modules are looking for the address database.  Both palms that I have
> used (Z22 and Treo 650) use the contacts database.  How can I query the
> contacts database?

Well, there's a Perl module, PDB, which reads and writes .pdb and .prc files.
  http://search.cpan.org/~arensb/p5-Palm-1.2.4/Palm/PDB.pm

It is used, in term, by Palm::Address:
   http://search.cpan.org/~arensb/p5-Palm-1.2.4/Palm/Address.pm

I have used that to pull data from my Palm.  I have a script that used
to populate an LDAP database with all my Palm data.  Haven't used it
in a while; I could send you a copy if you like.

Vis-a-vis the two databases, here's some comments on the matter that
seem pretty relevant:

http://lists.pilot-link.org/pipermail/pilot-link-devel/2005-July/001437.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling