Flash on Debian Lenny

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 01:46:43 UTC 2008

Hey,

I'm not sure I understand how Flash works on Debian Lenny. I've tried
installing Flash with the Adobe installer and the Debian package from non-free,
but when I try to view videos on Youtube, it appears that what I'm getting is
the Mozilla plugin that's installed with Gnome (swfdec-mozilla?). When I right
click on a video, it doesn't show me the Flash menu, it shows the Gnome-style
GTK menu. The video will not play, though it appears to start loading it never
goes beyond the first frame, as though it's just showing a thumbnail or
something (?).

I am not allowed for some reason to remove the swfdec packages without removing
all of Gnome. It seems to me kind of silly to make the entire Gnome desktop
dependant on Flash functionality, no?

If anyone can give me any suggestions, it would be much appreciated, this is my
main stumbling block right now.

Otherwise, so far Debian totally rocks. I even have Spore running! :-)

--
sig not functioning