Second hand server rack

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 4 11:55:17 UTC 2008

William Muriithi wrote:
> Mohammed,
>
> Apology for taking rather long to respond. I was kind of short of time
> the last two days and kept postponing it. I really had no ill
> intention.
>

>>> You'd have to ask William what he went with specifically, but it seems
>>> that Ikea likes to build a lot of their cabinet/shelving units to a
>>> rather specific size, which just also happens to have just the right
>>> internal dimensions to support most rackmount servers :-)
>>>
>> My concern would be the inevitable sagging that will occur with the shelves.
>>

> Now, we went for garage shelf for lack of a better name. I am not even
> sure that is the precise name. What we did was take the measurement of
> those towers and dash out to a local furniture shop and picked up
> something that looked appropriate.  And its not sagging so far even
> after loading 7 towers on it. I think if you do not buy a very wide
> shelf, and something firm enough, it will be okay.
>
> By the way, the shop owner of that business liked that idea a lot.
>
> The shelf looks like this.
>
> http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49824326
>
> William

I have seen that type of shelf and the problem remains.  If you put
enough of a load on any shelf, it will eventually sag or even collapse.
Servers tend to be heavy.  There are stronger shelves available, but I
doubt you'll find them at Ikea.  I would never put servers on a shelf
that's not designed for the weight.  Take a look at racks that are
designed for holding servers and compare them with regular racks and
you'll see they're built much stronger and have rear rails, which
regular racks normally don't.  The reason for all that is the weight of
servers.