nmap and port scanning reliability

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 2 14:52:19 UTC 2008

William Muriithi wrote:
> Hi pals,
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I set up an application that uses port 1194. It
> worked well and then all of a sudden stopped working. I spent sometime
> looking at what went wrong and I could not find anything on the
> software side.

Port 1194?  Would that by chance be OpenVPN?  If so, you're likely using
UDP, so you'll have to use a UDP port scan.  Also, be aware that UDP
ports don't respond the same way as TCP.  A non responding UDP port
appears exactly the same as one that quietly drops the packets.  If your
firewall is configured in stealth mode, this is also what will happen.