Stallman's new enemy: the cloud

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 2 01:49:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Scott C. Ripley wrote:

> it's important to manage the risk associated with any technology...
>
> just as hard-drives do fail and data recovery must be possible, any system
> leveraging so-called "cloud" (virtualized/distributed/etc.) computing must
> address scenarios where the cloud becomes unavailable...

Quite right.  If a business risk is that the propriatory application in
the cloud may disappear and render the user data useless, the way to
address that risk is to avoid using the application in the first place :)

I can see where RMS is coming from.

My position is that the cloud will be useful in some cases but it would be
a mistake for a corporation (or individual) to rely on it for core
operations.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy