ASUS Eee PC 1000H

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 19:29:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 01:26:44PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> The one exception that I know of is the HP Mini-Note (1280x768 8.9").
> But it is expensive (but so is the EEE 1000) and it uses a Via CPU
> which people say is too slow.

Rather small dots you get at that resolution.

> Too many laptops have vents on the bottom.  I assume therefore that it isn't
> safe to put them on soft surfaces (beds, laps, carpets, couches) or
> non-flat surfaces (my messy desk).  My new thinkpad has no vents on
> the bottom (yay!), does the EEE?  I think that most of the netbooks
> have vents on the bottom.
>
> I also hate noisy fans.

Just remember to clean the dust out of them every few months and they
stay quiet.  My wife's laptop was getting stupidly noisy, and I cleaned
out the heatsink on the cpu and the CPU temperature dropped 16C and the
fan stopped making all that noise.

> One great thing about the Dell netbook: no fan!

One bad thing about the Dell netbook: It's a Dell.

> Battery life is a weak point in this class.  The Atom itself is fairly
> good as far as power use.  Unfortunately, the support chips are power
> hungry -- they were designed for earlier CPUs.  Intel is coming out
> with a new chipset that is better matched to the Atom.

They should stop trying to push a desktop chipset with it.  It needs a
proper low power chipset.

--
Len Sorensen