Stallman's new enemy: the cloud

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 17:19:43 UTC 2008

| From: Mel Wilson <mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>

| D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

| > There are only a few things that you can do with a cloud and still be
| > sure that you haven't leaked information to the provider.
|
| :)  There's a crypto technique by Rivest.  I forget the official name,
| but you could call it crypto by signing and flooding.  For every document you
| post, you post a flood of plausible but inaccurate documents.  The real
| document has a valid signature, the bogus documents have bogus signatures.
|
| It's awesomely expensive.  Both in and of itself, and because for all you know
| one of the bogus documents could get you arrested.

Chaff, by analogy with the radar-jamming aluminum strips used by the
allies in WWII, I assume.  Or maybe just the conventional meaning of
chaff (the junk left over when you winnow grain).

I don't immediately see how this alters my claim that by using
cryptography to prevent leakage, you also prevent interesting
processing.