Stallman's new enemy: the cloud

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 13:32:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 09:26:24AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>There is a difference between complaining the that current
>implementations are imperfect, and asserting that the model itself is
>just hype and can _never_ be useful.

I did say that there was a point behind the dogma.

Remote service based software, which is what the 'cloud' really is, is
definitely useful.  I use it myself by hosting my own server and
accessing from client sites and when on the road.  With suitable terms
of service agreement I might trust a corporation to host for me but
let's be honest.  How often are terms of service fair or trustworthy?

--
Neil Watson
System Administrator for hire