Stallman's new enemy: the cloud

Phillip Mills phillip.mills1-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 12:29:15 UTC 2008

----- Message from evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org ---------

> Richard Stallman, recently interviewed, said this about cloud computing:
>
> "It's stupidity. It's worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype
> campaign"

I think he makes sense, overstated and dogmatic perhaps, but....  I
think it's stupid to put anything into "the cloud" that's deemed
necessary to a person's or organization's core needs.

- I work for a company that uses Google as an e-mail server.  Once
every two weeks -- for a random selection of network or host reasons --
  we don't have e-mail.
- I use LiveJournal as a personal resource.  From time to time their
business model changes, threatening access to the information I've
accumulated there.
- Recently, WalMart announced they were shutting down DRM servers,
thereby stopping people from transferring music (legally) that they
bought a year or so ago.

These are only inconveniences, but similar decisions/actions by
external organizations could be disastrous in a case where they were
allowed control of important data.